January - Cedar Waxwings

Usually, January is a cold and snowy month. Not so much this year. In a way I'm a little happy as I am not currently spending time in Michigan. I would miss the snowy lakeshore and the ice on the lighthouses. It's usually the only thing that keeps me going out when it's cold, snowy and grey. Once in a while there is a lovely bright, blue-skied day and even though it's bitterly cold there are birds feeding on the sparse berries left on trees. 

One of my favourite birds to see in winter are Cedar Waxwings. They are such lovely looking birds, colourful and bright with a lovely crest that sometimes pops up over the top of their heads. Their feathers look so smooth. 



Did you know that they are called Waxwings because some of them produce waxy, bright red appendages on the tip of their wing feathers? 

Male and female Cedar Waxwings are similar in size and shape. The main difference is that males have a darker throat patch than females

Female Cedar Waxwings build the nests and incubate eggs alone, while males bring food to the females. 

They eat mostly fruits especially berries. 

If you want to attract them to your garden you should have out orange, apple, berries, mealworms, applesauce, or grape jelly (jam) or suet cakes on a platform. 

I've never seen one in my garden although when I have had on my Merlin App I have picked up their calls. I might have to try putting out some of these goodies in my garden! 

They are year-round residents of Michigan. 

The range map as per allaboutbirds.org



Orange - Breeding

Purple - Year-Round

Blue - Non-breeding

A wonderful bird to watch out for!

No comments:

Post a Comment